Psychology of Consumer Behaviour | Scoop.it

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sponge Bob Get Out of My Pants!

As I was fast forwarding through a PVR'd show I almost did a spit take with my tea when I saw this Burger King Sponge Bob commercial. I'll admit it made me look. Just couldn't believe my eyes!
The creepy BK's King is rapping to a remix of Sir Mix-A-Lot's 1990s hit song "Baby Got Back," with these new lyrics: "I like square butts and I cannot lie." The King raps in front of young women shaking their square butts, intercut with SpongeBob dancing. It ends with Sir Mix-A-Lot on a couch with his female admirers saying "Booty is booty."



The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood (CCFC) is in an uproar about the objectification of young women and the inapropriateness of using a kids' icon in such a sexualized way. They are asking people to write to Burger King. Media Post reports Burger King's point of view,"BK points out that the Kids Meal is a "value-based offer aimed at adults" and requires an adult BK Value Meal purchase. The commercial is intended to appeal to adults who take their kids to BK, and as with all BK adult advertising campaigns, it is being shown "only during shows targeting adult audiences," the company states. The commercial "is intended to show that even adults can have fun, laugh and be silly with entertainment genres -- such as rap and pop culture icons -- that have become part of everyday life."


And if the 30 seconds ad is not bad enough see the full 2 1/2 minute music video here:



Sponge Bob get outta my pants!

No comments: